Monsoon is here and so are water-borne diseases. Flooding, old rusty pipelines, pipe bursts, and mix-ups between sewage and drinking water are often responsible. With the kind of advertising blitz kreig out there on our TV sets claiming best water purifier and confuses many consumers about what to buy when to comes to protecting their loved ones.
As a water professional having spent 20 years in this industry and specializing in UV purification of air, residential and commercial water purifier and industrial water purifier, here’s some straightforward advice on how to go about finding what is most suitable for you.
1. Check the TDS content of your water: To know which is the best water purifier for your home first it is important to understand the quality of your water. A simple TDS meter carried by most sales/service staff of reputed purifier companies will determine the TDS levels in your water. TDS in water is the concentration of minerals and other impurities which are in dissolved form. If the TDS level is greater than 500 ppm, as may be the case in water supplied by tankers and from bore wells, and the taste undesirable, then a Reverse Osmosis (RO) based water purifier would bring the TDS to levels under 100 and make your water better tasting. Read this article to know more about RO water purification system. If the TDS is low (below 500) as is the case of water supplied by the municipality, an RO water purifier would serve no purpose. Simple boiling for 20 mins or a well-designed UV water purifier will do the job.
2. Check the facts: With jargon being thrown at you, check the meaning and implications of systems which have RO + UV, RO + UV + UF, TDS meter etc. Some of these are unnecessary and increase the cost of the equipment and maintenance without adding any real value. A TDS meter /controller is nothing but a simple flow meter meant for controlling the mix between pure RO water (devoid of minerals)and regular tap water which contains minerals. This is done so that you are not drinking water stripped of minerals. So the question is: did you need to use an RO in the first place?
3. Know the pros and cons of each technology. For example, in an RO water purifier, as much as 80% of the water is wasted and goes down the drain, making it environmentally unsustainable. In many non-electric storage type water purifiers, chlorine may be the chemical used for purification. In a UV purifier, know that hard water will not become soft and that the cartridges and UV lamp need replacement at regular intervals besides regular cleaning. Understand the costs in maintaining each system and cost of consumables.
4. Check the after-sales service track record of the company. Visit the website, check reviews on social media. See what customers are really saying.
Having said all this, good luck with your decision. and cheers to the health of your family!
– Posted by Mrs. Rajul Parikh, Director, Alfaa UV
Check Alfaa’s range of UV and RO home water purifiers.
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for drinking water disinfection...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for process Water Disinfection...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for waster water tertiary treatment...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for Swimming pool and spas...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for the Reduction of Total Oxidizable Carbons ( TOC )...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for Ozone destruction...Read More
Ultravoilet UV air purification systems for...Read More
The Economic Impact of the Second Wave A sharp spike in dail... Read More
Asymptomatic Carrier: What does it mean for Covid-19? The no... Read More
The surge in the number of COVID-19 cases has gone “from b... Read More
Although there has been a marked slowdown in the new COVID-1... Read More
Although much remains unknown about COVID-19, scientists hav... Read More
Current Studies and Research A recent study from the Queen M... Read More
The Coronavirus has brought the need for safe, disinfecting ... Read More
Please leave a message for more details and we will get back to you soon.