Monsoons are here and so are waterborne diseases that come as an unwelcome gift with this season! The onset of the monsoon brings relief from the scorching heat of summer but it also makes one susceptible to a host of waterborne diseases.
The most common water-related diseases associated with monsoon are Malaria and Dengue, and gastrointestinal infections such as Gastroenteritis, Typhoid, Cholera, Dysentery, Diarrhea, and Hepatitis (Jaundice). The World Health Organization says that every year more than 3.4 million people die as a result of water-related diseases. Most of the victims are young children. Common symptoms include high fever, nausea, and vomiting which can become life threatening if ignored. Apart from biological reasons why these diseases flourish in monsoon, there are some other reasons you should be careful about:
1. Rainwater is the perfect breeding ground for germs which in turn leads to water borne diseases that affect a lot of people. After the first showers, the weather becomes very humid. Humidity increases the rate of bacteria multiplication resulting in a sudden spike in infections like conjunctivitis, gastroenteritis, fungal infections of skin and hair, cholera and even Hepatitis.
2. Accumulated dirt on roads, trees, buildings get washed into drains and seeps into the ground. This gets sucked into water pipes when lines are opened, which contaminate your drinking water.
3. Skin exposed to flood waters carrying the urine of animals can lead to leptospirosis.
4. Flies breed actively during monsoon and spread diseases after feeding on fecal matter.
5. Sudden changes in temperature and humidity compromise the immune system which in turn becomes more susceptible to disease.
These factors are often beyond our individual control. No matter what steps civic bodies take to provide clean water to its citizens during monsoon, individuals have to play their part and purify water using the best water purifier for home
It is rightly said that prevention is better than cure. If one follows preventive measures then such potentially life threatening water related and water borne diseases can be kept at bay.
• Avoid wading in rainwater or going out during a heavy downpour. If you must, either wear gumboots or remember to wash the area of contact with soap and water as soon as possible.
• Personal hygiene can be intensified during this period. One thing is to keep skin clean and dry. Washing hands often throughout the day can spell the difference between prevention and disease.
• Stagnant water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Check your living space for any hotspots of contamination eg. air conditioning trays, flowerpots, vases, and choked drains. If there’s a pond near your premises, then breed Gambusia fish as they reduce the chances of mosquito breeding. Alternately, call the municipal authorities for fumigation.
• Use effective mosquito repellant while going out and cover windows with mosquito nets.
• Our digestive system becomes weak during this season so one should avoid eating spicy, fried and junk food as these have heated thermal effect on our bodies and make us feel lethargic and sluggish.
• Keep food covered. Flies look harmless but are carriers of serious waterborne diseases such as Typhoid and Cholera.
• Avoid street food which is uncooked or exposed.
• Drink warm water and strictly avoid untreated water, or water/ice from unknown sources.
• Make that important decision about investing in a home water purifier for the safety of your loved ones; during the monsoon and every day. Consider a water treatment option based on your water quality. UV Water Purifier is excellent and ideal for water treated and supplied by the municipality. When the water is from underground sources such as borewells and is high in TDS making it hard and unpalatable, then consider RO Water Purifier.
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for drinking water disinfection...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for process Water Disinfection...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for waster water tertiary treatment...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for Swimming pool and spas...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for the Reduction of Total Oxidizable Carbons ( TOC )...Read More
Ultraviolet UV water purification systems for Ozone destruction...Read More
Ultravoilet UV air purification systems for...Read More
Water is a basic necessity for life. With water bodies being... Read More
There are many water treatment solutions available. It can p... Read More
Whether you have a start-up or a decade old organization, em... Read More
“When you can’t solve the problem, manage ... Read More